Earth Verse: Haiku from the Ground Up
Written by Sally M. Walker
Illustrated by William Grill
With poetry and a little bit of humor, the author imparts a lot of information about the Earth and her components.
fragile outer crust
shell around mantle and core –
Earth: a hard-boiled egg
The haiku form is perfect for exploring the not-so mudane and showing just how wonderful our world is. Impressionistic colored-pencil illustrations bring forth many images to the reader’s mind.
The author starts off with the Earth in her entirety. She then investigates minerals, rocks, and fossils. She then moves on to earthquakes and volcanoes. Atmospheric and surface water, glaciers, and groundwater come last. Each has at least one haiku and a full page of background.
This is a great place for kids to start learning about both the Earth and about poetry. The reader should try their hand at writing their own haiku about the world around them.
- Title: Earth Verse: Haiku from the Ground Up
- Author: Sally M. Walker
- Illustrator: William Grill
- Published: Candlewick Press, 2018
- Reviewer: Sue Poduska
- Format: Hardcover, 48 pages
- Grade Level: 2 to 4
- Genre: Picture Book, Creative nonfiction, Geology, Poetry
- ISBN: 978-0-7636-7512-7
- Extras: Sections highlighting each individual theme, Suggestions for Further Study